At the end of this lesson, pupils should be able to:
1. Describe the main causes of climate change
2. Explain the effects of these causes
3. Discuss the implications of climate change for our lives
- Handouts for pupils
Start the lesson by asking pupils to think about what they know about climate change and to raise any questions they may have.
Introduce the topic by discussing why climate change is an important issue to be aware of and discuss how it impacts us.
1. Explain that there are several different causes of climate change such as burning fossil fuels, deforestation and agriculture.
2. Invite pupils to watch a short video or look at a presentation summarising the various causes of climate change (see Resources section below).
3. Ask pupils to work in groups and identify and explain the effects of each of the causes. Ask pupils to present their findings in class.
4. Once the effects have been discussed, ask pupils to consider what implications climate change has for our lives. Ask them to think about how it impacts the environment, economies, human health and other aspects of our lives.
5. Give pupils the opportunity to ask questions and discuss their views on the topic further.
To conclude, sum up the main points covered in the lesson and emphasise the importance of being aware of and tackling climate change.
- Video on the causes of climate change: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlT_lGiCZRQ
- Presentation on the effects of climate change: https://www.slideshare.net/HanaGrate/effects-of-climate-change-76210599