Welcome everyone to our lesson on the Double Helix of DNA today! DNA (deoxyribonucleic acid) is an incredible molecule that contains the genetic information that makes all living things unique. Let’s see what we can learn about this marvel of science.
1. Introduce the structure and function of the double helix of DNA.
2. Explain how the structure of DNA is important in genetic inheritance.
3. Review the four components of DNA.
4. Discuss the importance of DNA in various aspects of healthcare.
During the lesson, encourage students to ask for clarification and provide their own examples or opinions on DNA and its role in biology.
To assess student understanding, have students complete a worksheet (resource 1) to identify the components of DNA and its function. Use the answer key (resource 2) to grade the students' work.
For students who need more time to understand the structure of the Double Helix of DNA, provide a video with animation (resource 3) to help them visualize the concept.
To close the lesson, review the importance of DNA on living things. Ask the students if they can think of any other uses that we can apply the double helix of DNA in the future.
1. DNA Structure and Function Worksheet: http://www.biologycorner.com/worksheets/dna_structure.pdf
2. DNA Structure and Function Worksheet Answer Key: http://www.biologycorner.com/worksheets/dna_structure_key.pdf
3. Double Helix Animation Base Pairs Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7ViwdQiK-g