In this lesson, students will learn about non-fiction writing. They will identify the elements of non-fiction writing and explore the different types of non-fiction writing. Through activities and discussion, students will explore and develop their understanding of the genre and its various forms.
• Explain the elements of non-fiction writing
• Discuss the various types of non-fiction writing
• Show examples of each type of non-fiction writing
• Use video and worksheet resources to practice the different types
• Discuss the different styles and approaches of writing
• Practice and discuss sample non-fiction texts
• What are the elements of non-fiction writing?
• How are the various types of non-fiction writing different?
• What is the best approach for writing a particular type of non-fiction?
• Provide a written assignment for students to write a 500-word essay about a particular type of non-fiction writing
• Create an online discussion board and have the students post their essays for peer review
• Allow students to score each other’s essays based on the criteria outlined in the lesson
• Provide additional resources for weaker students
• Allow students to work together in small groups
• Give students extra time to work on their essays
• Have students present their essays to the class and provide feedback to their peers
• Encourage students to discuss any issues or questions they may have
• Post a survey asking students to reflect on their experience and the effectiveness of the lesson
• Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVgKj63h9H4
• Worksheet: https://resources.seminolestate.edu/su/docs/wac00article.pdf