Good morning/afternoon class! Today we’re going to be learning all about addition. Does anyone know what addition is?
[Allow students to answer and explain the concept of addition.]
Addition means to put two or more numbers together to make a bigger number. Let’s watch this video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTMJ16-LmRM) to help us understand this concept better.
1. Introduce the lesson
2. Watch the video
3. Go through examples of adding two numbers
4. Introduce three-digit numbers
5. Practice adding three-digit numbers with the worksheet: (https://www.teachervision.com/three-digits/worksheet/56780.html)
6. Assess student understanding
• What is addition?
• What are we learning today?
• Can you explain to me what we did with the examples?
• What do we need to do when adding three-digit numbers?
At the end of the lesson, assess student’s understanding of the concept by setting a basic test on basic addition.
1. For lower ability: provide more visuals and examples to illustrate the concept in simple language
2. For higher ability: set challenge questions involving larger numbers and more complex addition problems
To wrap up the lesson, review the main points such as what we learnt, application of the concept, etc. Encourage students to participate and explain what they have learnt. Ask students what they would do if they came across a difficult addition problem.