Grade 5 Lesson Plan: Fats
Objective: Students will be able to identify different types of fats and understand their role in the body.
- Food samples (e.g. avocado, nuts, butter, olive oil)
- Paper plates
- Plastic knives
- Whiteboard and markers
Introduction (10 minutes):
1. Begin by asking students what they know about fats. Write their responses on the whiteboard.
2. Explain that fats are an important part of our diet, but we need to be aware of the different types of fats and how much we consume.
3. Show the food samples and ask students to identify which ones they think are high in fat.
Activity 1: Identifying Fats (20 minutes):
1. Distribute paper plates and plastic knives to each student.
2. Place the food samples on a table and ask students to cut a small piece of each food and place it on their plate.
3. Ask students to identify which foods they think are high in fat and which ones are low in fat.
4. Discuss the different types of fats (saturated, unsaturated, trans) and which foods contain each type.
Activity 2: Fat Worksheet (20 minutes):
1. Distribute the fat worksheet to each student.
2. Ask students to read the questions and fill in the blanks with the correct answers.
3. Review the answers as a class.
Conclusion (10 minutes):
1. Ask students to share what they learned about fats.
2. Emphasize the importance of consuming healthy fats in moderation.
3. Encourage students to make healthy food choices and be mindful of their fat intake.
Students will be assessed based on their participation in the food identification activity and their completion of the fat worksheet.