In this lesson, the students will be reviewing all of the Elementary Math topics from the last school year that are necessary for success in High School Math. This will be done through a mix of video instruction and worksheets.
1. Review of Place Value (Group work on worksheet): 10 minutes
2. Overview of Estimation and Rounding: 5 minutes
3. Activity: Estimation and Rounding Game -15 minutes
4. Video: Introduction to Fractions and Decimals - 10 minutes
5. Group work: Practice Adding, Subtracting and Multiplying fractions and decimals - 15 minutes
6. Video: Introduction to Algebra - 5 minutes
7. Group work: Practice solving basic Algebraic equations - 10 minutes
Throughout the lesson, the teacher will be checking for understanding by asking the students to explain certain concepts. The teacher will also pose questions to the entire class about various problems, such as asking for examples of fractions or what is the inverse operation for multiplication.
At the end of the lesson, the teacher will assess the students' knowledge by assigning a worksheet that combines all of the topics covered in the lesson. The worksheet will be marked in class, and any general misconceptions or areas for improvement will be noted.
The teacher can differentiate the lesson to accommodate different learning styles and abilities by providing different worksheets and activities. For example, the students who are stronger in Math can be given a more challenging worksheet while those who need more practice can have an easier worksheet.
The teacher will end the lesson by asking students to explain some of the topics they covered. This will help to reinforce the concepts and provide the teacher with an understanding of the students' level of knowledge on the topic.
Place Value: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pd6ZvScih1A
Estimation and Rounding: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyAqOJFA-hc
Fractions and Decimals: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysGjK_R1MKA