Grammar is an essential and important part of being a successful legal professional. Good grammar is essential for communicating clearly, effectively and persuasively in the legal arena. This lesson is designed to teach law school students the importance of good grammar to equip them with the tools they need to serve their legal career.
1. Introduction to why good grammar is essential for success in law school
2. Review of commonly misused words
3. Mastery of relevant punctuation rules
4. Tips for proofreading and checking
5. Evaluation of grammar mistakes in sample documents and cases
1. Why is strong grammar essential in the legal profession?
2. What distinctions should be made between commonly misused words?
3. How might you apply specific punctuation rules to legal documents?
4. What tips can be used for proofreading?
5. How can we recognize and correct grammar mistakes in a document or case?
Google Docs quiz. Pre-fill a document with sample legal documents and cases. Include grammar mistakes within the text. Require students to identify the errors and explain how to fix them.
Provide students with multiple options for grammar practice. Offer them access to an online grammar review course, worksheets based on their specific law course, and interactive videos that focus on legalese.
Have students complete a Google Docs survey summarizing the lesson and providing feedback on what they learned, what worked well, and what other topics they would like to explore in future lessons.
Video & Worksheet Resources:
1. Watch & Discuss: “What is Good Grammar?” video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKzxE8Gx1w4
2. Legal Grammar Checklist - https://www.cengage.com/legal/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2010/03/legal grammar checklist_C.pdf
3. Legal Writing Skills and Grammar Practice Worksheet - https://www.oxfordlearnersdictionaries.com/pdf/legalwriting_grammar_worksheet_v2.pdf