Lesson Plan Title: Introduction to the Initial Sound ‘H’
Objective: Students will be able to identify and write words that begin with the letter ‘H’.
• Alphabet cards
• Chalkboard and chalk
• “H” posters or flashcards
• Pencils or erasable markers for the students
• Worksheets and videos (see resource links below)
• Educators may provide students with a modified worksheet
• Educators may provide students with alphabet cards to help them make connections between the visual and the sound
• Educators may also provide tactile aids for students who need it to make connections
1. Introduce the lesson by explaining to students that they will be learning about the letter ‘H’, its sound and its symbol.
2. Show students the alphabet card ‘H’ and have them point it out.
3. Read aloud the names of pictures that start with ‘H’. Ask students why they think the pictures start with the letter ‘H’.
4. Provide worksheets and ask students to write words that start with ‘H’.
5. Show the students a “H” poster and/or video that goes over some of the common words that begins with ‘H’. Ask students to find and write down some words from the poster or video.
6. Provide students with tactile aids or alphabet cards that have the letter ‘H’ on them. Allow students to explore the letter ‘H’ and point it out on their worksheet.
7. Wrap up the lesson and ask the students questions about the lesson to assess their understanding.
• Educators may check students’ worksheets to monitor their understanding
• Educators may administer a quiz at the end of the lesson to assess students’ knowledge
• Video: ‘Letter H’ video – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCopf1yManA
• Worksheet: “Write Words With the Letter H” – https://worksheets.theteacherscorner.net/make-your-own/letter-h.php