Welcome the students to the class by introducing yourself and discussing the lesson today. Explain proper nouns and examples of them in both English and German. Show some examples of German proper nouns on the board. Make sure to give a clear overview and explanation so that the students understand what is expected of them.
1. Start by introducing the students to the concept of proper nouns and how they are different from common nouns.
2. Introduce some examples of German proper nouns.
3. Introduce the concept of capitalization in German and how that is used when writing proper nouns.
4. Have the students practice their capitalization skills by having them practice forming their own examples of proper nouns in German.
5. Have the students watch a short video (available here: ) that explains the concept in more detail and introduces a few more examples of proper nouns in German.
6. Have the students use a worksheet (available here: ) to practice their proper noun writing skills in German.
Throughout the lesson, ask open-ended questions and provide feedback as needed. Some questions to ask could include:
- What are some common examples of proper nouns?
- How do we use capitalization when writing proper nouns in German?
- Can you explain your answer?
At the end of the lesson, assess each student’s understanding of the topic according to their level of knowledge. Have them complete a quiz (available here: ) and use the results to guide further instruction if needed.
Provide different worksheets and activities to challenge higher ability learners and support those who may struggle more with the material.
End the lesson by having the students share out any questions they have, or discuss anything they struggled with so they understand the concepts better. Summarize the lesson before you finish.
Worksheets and Videos
- Worksheet 1:
- Worksheet 2: